- In a saucepan cover the wild rice with 1 ½ cups (375 mL) boiling water, return to a boil and simmer for 40 - 45 minutes or until tender. Drain off excess water.
- Stir-fry the white rice in oil for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Bring the broth to a boil, add the white rice and return to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Do not drain.
- Add the wild rice, onions, red peppers, black pepper and sage to the rice and mix well.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Rub the chicken with the chicken spice.
- Spoon the stuffing loosely into chicken cavity. Put the extra stuffing in a greased casserole and refrigerate.
- Cover chicken loosely with a tent of foil and roast for 1 ½ to 2 hours or until a thermometer inserted into the breast reads 185°F (85°C).
- Approximately 30-40 minutes before the chicken is done, cover the casserole of extra stuffing and put it in the oven with the chicken.
- Remove chicken from the oven and let stand for 15-20 minutes before carving.
- Remove stuffing from the cavity and combine with the extra stuffing.
Barbecue chicken spice is available in the spice section of most stores.