Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
Rinse the chicken inside and out with cold water. Pat the chicken dry using paper towel. Season the inside and the outside of the bird with salt and pepper. Let it rest on the counter for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, assemble the stuffing. In a large bowl combine together the cornbread, onion, sage, pumpkin seeds, raisins, garlic, jalapeno and chicken stock. Season with salt and pepper.
Stuff both of the chicken’s cavities with the stuffing and make sure not to overstuff.
Truss the bird using white kitchen string, and arrange it breast side up in a roasting pan. Brush the bird all over with the melted butter. Transfer to the rack in the middle of the oven. Roast for 30 minutes.
Baste the chicken and reduce oven temperature to 350°F (175°C) and continue to roast for 2 hours or until a meat thermometer registers 180°F (82°C). Continue to baste the chicken every 20-30 minutes to help crisp the skin.
Remove the chicken from the oven and allow it to rest for 10 minutes. Remove the stuffing from the bird before carving.
- Serves: 6
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 1 whole chicken, 4 pounds
- 4 tbsp (60 mL) butter, melted
- 3 cups (750 mL) cornbread, day-old, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) Spanish onion(s), finely diced
- 3 leaves sage, fresh, finely-chopped
- 4 tbsp (60 mL) pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) raisins
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) dried cranberries
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper, minced
- 1 cup (250 mL) low-sodium chicken broth