- Heat olive oil in a heavy bottom pot. Cut boneless, skinless chicken breast into ½ inch (1.25 cm) pieces. Add to hot oil and sauté until golden brown.
- Push to one side and add the diced onion, minced garlic and red hot chile pepper (optional) and sauté a few minutes until softened.
- Add the chicken broth, cover and simmer on low heat while you prepare the vegetables.
- Dice the carrots and green pepper into ½ inch (1.25 cm) pieces. Slice green beans into 1 inch (2.5 cm) pieces. Slice the mushrooms. Add to the chicken and broth mixture and stir.
- Dice the fresh tomatoes. Add to the pot with the tomato paste and salt, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer.
- Finally, stir in the uncooked rice. Cover and simmer slowly on low heat 45 minutes or until rice is tender. It may be necessary to sprinkle additional broth or water to help the rice cook. Use small amounts as needed. Stir along the way so the rice doesn’t stick.
- To serve, line a serving platter with lettuce leaves. Mound rice down centre piled high. Garnish with minced cilantro and slices of hard cooked egg.
If you want a gluten-free version make sure you use a gluten-free chicken broth.