- Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC).
- Heat olive oil in non-stick skillet and sauté garlic with ground chicken and spices. Use the back of the spoon to break up ground chicken into smaller pieces. Add half the salsa (of your choice) to the chicken mixture. Add drained black beans and heat through.
- Spread this mixture onto the bottom of a casserole dish. Top with the other half of the salsa.
- Dice the green onions, tomatoes, orange and jalapeno. Spread over the salsa topped beans.
- Top with shredded cheese and minced fresh cilantro.
- Place in oven and cook until cheese is fully melted.
- Serve immediately with tortilla chips. Also works well as a filling for soft tortillas.
This is a healthy re-make of an old party favourite. Skipping the usual sour cream or cream cheese and adding cooked beans lowers the amount of fat and boosts the fibre content of the recipe. The recipe is flexible and you can add other healthy additions like sliced black olives, lettuce, avocado and diced sweet red peppers.