Pour the broth into a saucepan set over medium heat; bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low to maintain heat. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a Dutch oven set over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, onion and thyme. Cook for 7 minutes or until browned. Add the rice, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook for 2 minutes or until well coated and fragrant.
Add the wine and cook for 2 minutes or until reduced by half. Ladle in 1 cup (250 mL) broth. Cook, stirring constantly, until almost all the liquid is absorbed. Continue to add all but ½ cup (125 mL) of the broth, 1 cup (250 mL) at a time and stirring constantly, for 20 to 25 minutes or until the rice is tender, but still slightly toothsome in the centre.
Stir in the reserved ½ cup broth, chicken, peas and parsley. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until heated through. Serve immediately.
- Serves: 4
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 4 cups (1 L) sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 4 cups (1 L) assorted mushrooms, such as cremini, shiitake and oyster, chopped
- 1 onion, finely-chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh thyme, finely-chopped
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) Arborio rice
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) white wine
- 2 cups (500 mL) cooked chicken, chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) peas
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) fresh parsley, chopped
- Asiago cheese, grated (for garnish)