Herb Roasted Chicken
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Remove and discard giblets and neck from the chicken. In a small bowl, combine butter and seasonings; mix well.
- Set chicken, breast side up, on a rack in a foil-covered roasting pan. Using your fingers, gently separate the skin from the meat over the chicken breast and legs. Spread half of the herb butter under the skin. Spread the remainder over the skin on the wings, legs and breast. Tuck the wing tips under the back and tie the legs together with cotton string.
- Cover the chicken loosely with a tent of foil and roast until a thermometer inserted into the breast meat reads 180°F (82°C) (about 90 minutes). Remove from oven and let stand 15 minutes before carving.
- Serve with Cranberry Barley Pilaf.