Add the chicken to a large bowl or plastic re-sealable bag. Drizzle oil and fresh squeezed lime juice over chicken. Close bag and use your fingers to massage liquid to coat all sides.
Combine the spices - chili powder, onion powder, paprika, ground cumin, dry oregano, garlic powder, ground cloves, red hot chili pepper flakes, salt, freshly ground black pepper and brown sugar in a bowl. Add to chicken pieces in the bag and seal. Shake in the bag so spices coat all sides of chicken. Refrigerate for at least an hour and preferably over-night to allow time for the flavours to set.
Preheat grill to medium heat. Grill the chicken, starting bone side up, turning once, until fully cooked and browned - about 20 minutes or until a thermometer inserted into the chicken reads 165°F (74°C). To prevent burning and ensure even cooking it is best to grill chicken on top shelf of the barbecue with lid down. Check periodically to make sure you don't have flare-ups.
Cut fresh lime into wedges and serve with chicken so diners can squeeze fresh lime juice over.
- Serves: 4
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 4 chicken breasts, skin-on, bone-in
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lime juice, fresh squeezed
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chili powder
- 2 tsp (10 mL) onion powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) paprika
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cumin, ground
- 1 tsp (5 mL) oregano, dry
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) cloves, ground
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) red hot chili pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) brown sugar, packed
- 1 lime, cut in eight wedges
The recipes makes four portions but if you are alone, or cooking for two, remember extra portions freeze well and can be used for future meals.
If you need a gluten free version make sure the chili powder and all ingredients are gluten free.