Make marinade by adding light tamari, maple syrup, sesame oil, minced garlic, grated ginger, freshly-ground black pepper, and Sriracha hot pepper sauce to the bowl of a blender or food processor.
Place skinless chicken thighs in large plastic ziplock bag. Add marinade. Mix with hands on outside of bag to coat. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least one hour, and preferably overnight.
Put the rice on to cook 20 minutes before you are ready to grill the chicken.
Preheat grill over medium-high heat. Remove chicken from bag and place on top shelf of bbq/grill. Close lid and grill 8-10 minutes on each side, or until chicken reaches internal temperature of 165°F (74°C). Cooking time will vary based on the size of thigh pieces. Remove from grill and slice grilled chicken into long strips. Set aside.
To serve place arugula around perimeter of a dinner plate or serving platter. Place hot brown rice in middle and top with grilled teriyaki chicken. Garnish with sesame seeds and sliced green onion (optional garnishes).
- Serves: 4
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) light tamari sauce
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) low-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) maple syrup
- 2 tsp (10 mL) sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) ginger, fresh, grated
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) black pepper, freshly-ground
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Sriracha hot chili sauce or other hot sauce (optional)
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup (250 mL) long grain brown rice, dry
- 2 cups (500 mL) water
- 8 cups (2 L) arugula (rocket)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) sesame seeds
- 1 green onion, sliced
If you need a gluten-free version make sure you choose a tamari that is labelled gluten-free.