- Preheat grill to medium-high. Prepare a quick marinade for the fresh chicken breasts with 2 cloves of minced garlic, minced basil and olive oil in a bowl. Add chicken and turn pieces to make sure they are well coated. Grill chicken until cooked through. Cool and slice across the grain into thin strips.
- Place crust on greased pizza pan. Evenly spread sauce over pre-made crust. Sprinkle with remaining two cloves of fresh minced garlic. Top with sliced tomatoes, sliced cheeses, fresh basil leaves and chicken in a circular fashion making an artful arrangement over the pizza base. Ingredients look best slightly overlapping.
- Close cover and grill over medium heat, rotating occasionally, 10 minutes or until sauce is hot and cheese is melted. Be careful not to let the bottom of the pizza burn.
- Season with red pepper flakes (optional). Serve immediately.
Whole Wheat Pizza Crust
- Combine flours, yeast, salt and sugar in a mixer fitted with a dough hook (or a food processor with a dough blade). While the mixer is running, gradually add water and mix on low speed until the dough is firm and smooth. Turn machine off and remove dough hook.
- Drizzle olive oil along the side of the bowl. Roll dough ball around the bowl until the surface of the ball is oiled. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm spot until doubled in bulk (about 2 hours).
- Punch the dough down and divide into 3 portions. Put 2 portions into resealable plastic bags and freeze for another time. Place the third portion on a generously floured work surface. Using a floured rolling pin, roll the dough into a circle about 12 inches across. If the dough tears, just pinch the edges back together.
- Grill the crust over medium heat, for 1 minute or until bottom is browned. Using tongs, flip crust over and grill for 30 seconds.
Margherita is an easy to prepare, classic Italian pizza using fresh tomatoes and basil with Italian cheeses. It is important to choose good quality Italian cheese and fresh, juicy tomatoes. Caciocavollo is an Italian mozzarella-style cheese that works wonderfully on this pizza. The grilled chicken is much lower in fat and sodium than the usual processed and cured meats used on pizza like pepperoni.
To use frozen dough, take the bag out of the freezer in the morning and let stand at room temperature until supper time. Roll out the dough and grill or bake.