- Combine marinade of Hoisin sauce, vinegar, ketchup, honey, soy sauce, sesame oil and crushed anïse seed in large resealable bag.
- Cut tofu and chicken into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces. Gently mix tofu and chicken cubes with marinade. Refrigerate and marinate for up to 24 hours.
- Soak 8 bamboo skewers in warm water. Wash and prepare vegetables for skewers.
- Slice 2 small zucchini cross-wise into ½-inch (1 cm) thick slices. Leave mushrooms whole. Core and cut peppers into 1-inch (2.5 cm) square chunks.
- To assemble, thread the vegetables, chicken and tofu onto skewers, alternating ingredients.
- Set the skewers on broiling tray or large platter and baste with additional marinade. Grill or broil for about 20 minutes or until the vegetables begin to darken slightly and chicken is cooked through. Turn the skewers to ensure even cooking.
- Prepare the rice pilaf by heating a heavy skillet on medium heat. Add oil and sesame seeds and stir while seeds toast. Add rice and continue stirring for 5 minutes or until grains are toasted. Add water, cover tightly and cook for 45 minutes. Stir in fresh minced cilantro.
- Serve kebobs on a bed of rice pilaf. Makes 8 skewers or enough for four people.
You can easily double or triple this recipe making it a good choice to feed a crowd – especially if you have both meat-eaters and vegetarians. In this case, make some tofu and chicken skewers separately and some mixed so everyone will be satisfied.