- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Prepare the rice. Leftover works great.
- Cut peppers in half vertically through the stems and discard inner seeds and membranes. Keep the stems on as they look nice and help to hold in the filling.
- Place ground chicken in a medium bowl and sprinkle with salt. Break egg over mixture. Add ¼ cup (60 mL) pasta sauce, fresh lemon juice, lemon zest/peel, finely minced jalapeno (optional), diced tomato, diced onions, crumbled feta, pine nuts, minced fresh oregano and mint. Mix by hand until well combined.
- Add the last 1 ½ cup (375 mL) of tomato/pasta sauce to bottom of baking dish. Fill peppers with chicken and rice mixture. You can mound them fairly high. Place in baking dish over pasta sauce.
- Bake for 45 minutes and until the stuffed peppers are thoroughly cooked and a thermometer registers internal temperature of 160°F (70°C). Serve peppers with the pan sauce.
You can use leftover cooked rice or other cooked grains like barley or millet in this recipe.
Substitute 1 tsp (5 mL) each dried oregano and mint for the fresh.
If you have leftover filling bake it in a small oven proof bowl and use it as a mini-meatloaf for sandwiches or wraps. Leftover peppers reheat and freeze well.