- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Wash mushrooms. Remove stems being careful not to break the caps. I use my hands. Chop stems and set aside. Place caps in larger baking dish or a few deep dish pie plate that will fit all the caps. You don't need to oil the dish.
- Cut chicken into 1/2 inch (1.25 cm) pieces. Set aside.
- Melt butter in skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil and minced garlic, stir and sauté a few minutes until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add chicken pieces and white wine and stir well. Sauté, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Turn heat off.
- Use a teaspoon to place chicken pieces in each of the mushroom caps. If there are extra chicken pieces they can be placed around caps. Sprinkle reserved chopped mushroom stems around mushroom caps as well. Pour pan juices over. Top with a sprinkle of salt and the grated cheese. Sprinkle with the minced basil.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30-45 minutes until the mushrooms have released their liquid and the cheese is lightly browned.
- Serve in baking pans with your favourite bread to mop up the garlicky wine juices.
Sprinkle an additional 1/4 cup (60 mL) fresh shredded parmesan or Asiago on top of the mozzarella cheese.
The method for the recipe is more important than exact measurements.