- Cut the fennel into quarters and wash under cold running water. Dice into bite size pieces and set aside. Reserve ½ cup
- (125 mL) of the green frond for garnish.
- Heat the oil and butter over medium heat in a large soup pot. Add the fennel and diced red onion and sauté until the vegetables are soft—about 5 minutes. Stir in diced potatoes, chicken broth/stock, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper and rosemary. Cover and reduce heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Puree half of the soup until smooth. If you like a creamier soup puree it all. Add cooked or leftover roast chicken to the soup, stir and heat until warmed through.
- Lightly toast the fennel seeds in a non-stick skillet for 2–3 minutes over medium heat. Use a wooden spoon to move them around so they do not burn.
- To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with toasted fennel seeds and some pieces of the minced green fennel fronds.
Substitute 1 Tbsp (15 mL) of fresh rosemary for the dried.