Heat stock in soup pot. Add chopped chicken, minced onion, garlic, chili pepper flakes, basil, peas, turnip and celery. You can substitute 1 Tbsp fresh Thai basil for the dried if you have it. Cover and bring to a boil.
Stir in egg noodles and simmer a few minutes until el dente (just tender).
Add lemon peel, fresh lemon juice, low sodium soy sauce, minced parsley and honey. Taste and adjust seasoning.
Serve garnished with a sprig of fresh parsley and/or lemon wedge if you wish.
- Serves: 8
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 2 quarts chicken broth, home-made
- 2 cups (500 mL) roasted chicken, chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) onion, finely minced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) chili pepper, red, hot, flakes
- 1 tsp (5 mL) basil, dried
- 1 cup (250 mL) peas, green, frozen
- 1 cup (250 mL) turnip or rutabaga, cut into small chunks
- 1 cup (250 mL) celery, sliced
- 1 cup (250 mL) egg noodles, fine
- 1 tsp (5 mL) lemon peel or zest, fine
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) soy sauce, low sodium (e.g., Lite Tamari)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) fresh parsley, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) honey (to taste)