Clean chicken livers by separating into lobes, then trim off all fat and connective tissue. Rinse livers, then pat dry. Cut into two bite-size pieces of similar thickness. Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a large baking sheet with foil. Spray or oil the foil.
In a shallow bowl, stir crumbs with Parmesan and steak spice or ground pepper (If using ground pepper, add garlic salt and cayenne). In another small bowl, whisk eggs with Worcestershire or Dijon until no lumps remain. Place flour in another bowl.
Place 2 or 3 livers in the flour. Turn to evenly coat. Pick up one liver, shaking off excess flour, and place in egg mixture. Then pick up and place in the crumb mixture. Press into crumbs. Turn and press again to evenly coat. Remove to the foil lined pan. Repeat with remaining livers. As you near the end, you may have to firmly press crumbs unto the livers. They can be coated and left at room temperature for 15 minutes or refrigerated for one hour, uncovered, before cooking.
Bake in the 400°F (200°C) for 15 minutes. You do not have to turn. Or deep fry in oil at 350°F (175°C) for 3 to 4 minutes. Arrange on a serving platter and sprinkle with cilantro. Serve right away with an creamy onion dip, or sour cream or mayonnaise mixed with sliced green onions for dipping.
- Serves: 8
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 12 oz (345 g) chicken livers
- 1 cup (250 mL) breadcrumbs
- 1 cup (250 mL) panko breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 2 tsp (10 mL) coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Montreal steak spice
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) garlic salt, (optional)
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) cayenne pepper, (optional)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Worcestershire sauce or
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) cilantro, finely-chopped, for garnish
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) parsley, finely-chopped, for garnish
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) creamy onion dip, mixed with sliced green onion (optional)
Add Italian flavour by adding 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each of dried basil and leaf oregano to the crumb mixture.
Nutritional information is based per appetizer without dip.