- Add the coconut milk and orange juice to a large pot, cover and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Stir in raisins, brown sugar, curry powder and salt. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer as you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Slice raw chicken thigh across the grain into one inch (2.5 cm) strips. Add to pot with the drained chickpeas. Stir, cover with lid and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add red pepper and green onion. Simmer another 5 minutes.
- To serve, divide fresh spinach among four dinner plates or large, shallow bowls. Divide coconut curry among them piling it in the centre. Garnish each serving with a tablespoon (15 mL) of the unsweetened coconut and a few tablespoons (30 mL) of the coarsely chopped coriander.
This recipe was tested with raw chickpeas cooked without salt. If you are using canned chickpeas rinse under cold water to remove some of the surface starch and salt.
If you need a gluten free version of this recipe make sure your curry powder doesn’t contain wheat or gluten flour.