Chicken Yakitori with Warm Carrot Salad
- Cut chicken thigh into 1 inch (2.5 cm) cubes. Set aside in bowl or plastic re-sealable bag.
- Combine sake, mirin and light tamarai in small pan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer over low heat for 5 minutes or until reduced to 1/3 cup (80 mL). Cool. Pour over chicken. Place in refrigerator and leave to marinade for at least an hour and preferably overnight.
- Remove green end from onions. Slice and reserve half for the carrot salad. Refrigerate the rest of the green tops for another use. Slice lower white part into 1 inch (2.5 cm) pieces cut across the grain on a diagonal and set aside.
- Soak twelve - seven inch (18 cm) bamboo skewers in water for at least 20 minutes.
- Drain chicken and reserve marinade. Bring marinade to a boil in a saucepan and set aside for basting. Thread chicken onto skewers alternating between chicken and the white of the onion. Use 3 pieces of chicken and onion on each skewer. Set the skewers on large platter. Refrigerate skewers and marinade if you are not going to grill right away.
- Preheat grill to medium high. Place skewers on top shelf, close lid and grill for 8 minutes. Open lid, brush with glaze and turn to ensure even cooking. Brush the other side with marinade and close grill. Cook an additional 8 minutes or until the onions begin to brown slightly and chicken reaches internal temperature of 165°F (74°C).
- Place yakitori skewers on platter and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve with Warm Carrot Salad.