Measure flour into a plastic bag. Place chicken breasts in the plastic bag with the flour and coat chicken with flour thoroughly and evenly.
Heat olive oil, butter, red pepper flakes and minced garlic in a large skillet until sizzling. Sauté chicken breasts until golden brown on both sides. Add wine, lemon juice, evaporated milk, tomato sauce, salt and pepper. Stir sauce ingredients to combine.
Simmer chicken, turning once, over medium heat in uncovered skillet for approximately 20 minutes. Remove chicken to a warm platter, cover and keep warm. Turn up heat, add mushrooms to skillet and bring sauce to a boil. Reduce sauce by half, stirring constantly, so it has thickened and is rich and glossy. A few minutes before serving, stir in the oregano and adjust seasonings to taste.
Meanwhile, cook the whole-wheat penne according to package directions in plenty of unsalted water. Spread hot cooked pasta on a serving platter and top with the warm chicken breasts and the sauce. Garnish with fresh minced parsley and lemon wedges.
- Serves: 4
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 1 lb (0.5 kg) boneless, skinless chicken breast(s)
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) flour
- 2 tsp (10 mL) salted butter
- 2 tsp (10 mL) olive oil
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) hot red chili pepper flakes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup (250 mL) sweet Italian Marsala wine
- 3/4 cups (175 mL) evaporated milk, partly skimmed, 2% MF
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) lemon juice, fresh
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) tomato sauce
- 1/2 lb (0.3 kg) mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) pepper
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) oregano, fresh, chopped
- 1 pkg whole wheat penne
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) parsley, fresh, minced