Cut garlic scapes into 1 inch (2.5 cm) segments and chop finely in a food processor.
Heat olive oil over medium high heat in a soup pot. Add minced garlic scapes and sauté a few minutes.
Cut carrots in half length-wise and slice into half moons. Slice celery into similar thickness. Add to garlic scapes with the minced sage, paprika and freshly ground black pepper. Sauté five minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in chicken broth, wild rice and cooked chopped chicken. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 40 minutes or until rice is tender.
Stir in snow peas. Cook a few minutes more until peas are tender crisp.
Season with salt. How much salt to add is a matter of preference but this also depends on the saltiness of your broth. If you used ready-to-serve broth the soup may require no additional salt.
To serve ladle into bowls and garnish with minced fresh parsley and a fresh sprig or two of green garlic.
- Serves: 10
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) green garlic (scapes), finely-sliced
- 2 cups (500 mL) carrots, sliced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) celery, sliced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) sage, fresh, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) black pepper, freshly ground
- 12 cups (3 L) low-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cups (175 mL) wild rice, dry
- 2 cups (500 mL) cooked chicken, diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) snow peas, fresh
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) salt
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) parsley, fresh, minced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) green garlic, for garnish
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) green onions
1 cup garlic scapes can be substituted by 6-10 cloves garlic and a few spring/green onions (about ½ cup – 125 mL).