- Sauté ground chicken and diced onion in a large skillet until chicken is browned; drain.
- Stir in salsa, water, 1 tsp (5 mL) of chili powder, ground cumin, oregano and bottled hot sauce (optional); bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes. Add corn, red pepper, jalapeño pepper, sliced olives and salt, if necessary, to taste.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF(180ºC).
- In a separate bowl combine cornmeal, whole wheat flour, baking powder and 1 tsp (5 mL) of chili powder for topping.
- Beat vegetable oil, egg, milk and minced cilantro. Add to dry ingredients. Stir until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Spray an 8” square casserole with vegetable oil cooking spray and spread chicken mixture evenly over bottom. Top with cornmeal topping. Sprinkle dish with shredded cheese.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until knife inserted into cornmeal comes out clean and the dish is slightly browned.
Serve with additional garnishes such as diced jalapeño, sour cream and salsa.
For a less spicy version omit the jalapeño and the bottled hot sauce.
For a complete meal serve with a mixed green salad.