- Melt the butter in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Sauté the onion, minced garlic, minced ginger, red pepper flakes, curry powder, cloves and nutmeg for a few minutes. Add apple, red pepper, sweet potato, celery, carrot and sauté about another 10 minutes until softened.
- Meanwhile, add chicken breasts to bottom of slow cooker. Top with sautéed vegetables, lentils, white wine and water. Cover and cook on low setting for 6-8 hours. Make sure lentils are soft and dissolved into soup.
- Remove chicken from bone and dice. Add back to pot. Season with salt and lemon juice. Taste and adjust seasonings adding more curry powder if needed.
- Cook rice separately according to package directions during the last hour.
- To serve, place a scoop of rice in centre of shallow soup bowl and ladle soup over rice. Garnish with a dollop of yogurt, a sprinkle of almonds and a sprig of fresh parsley.
This is a healthy remake of a classic Anglo-Indian soup. The name literally means "pepper water." The lemon juice added at the end is a must to heighten and brighten the flavours.