Melt the butter in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Sauté the onion, minced garlic, minced ginger, red pepper flakes, curry powder, cloves and nutmeg for a few minutes. Add apple, red pepper, sweet potato, celery, carrot and sauté about another 10 minutes until softened.
Meanwhile, add chicken breasts to bottom of slow cooker. Top with sautéed vegetables, lentils, white wine and water. Cover and cook on low setting for 6-8 hours. Make sure lentils are soft and dissolved into soup.
Remove chicken from bone and dice. Add back to pot. Season with salt and lemon juice. Taste and adjust seasonings adding more curry powder if needed.
Cook rice separately according to package directions during the last hour.
To serve, place a scoop of rice in centre of shallow soup bowl and ladle soup over rice. Garnish with a dollop of yogurt, a sprinkle of almonds and a sprig of fresh parsley.
- Serves: 12
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 2 bone-in, skinless chicken breasts, about 500 g
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 1 cup (250 mL) red onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) ginger, fresh, minced
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) hot red chili pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) curry powder
- 6 cloves, whole
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) nutmeg, ground
- 2 Granny Smith apples, with skin, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 2 cups (500 mL) sweet potatoes, cubed
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 carrots, medium, diced
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) red lentils, dried
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dry white wine
- 8 cups (2 L) water
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice, fresh
- 1 cup (250 mL) long grain brown rice
- 1 cup (250 mL) plain yogurt, 2–4% MF
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) almonds, sliced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) parsley, fresh, for garnish
This is a healthy remake of a classic Anglo-Indian soup. The name literally means "pepper water." The lemon juice added at the end is a must to heighten and brighten the flavours.