Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chicken thighs and cook stirring often until browned.
Add in onion, garlic, chili powder, cumin, cinnamon, and cocoa. Cook until onions are soft. Add beans, tomatoes, orange zest and orange juice. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Season to taste with hot pepper sauce, salt and pepper. Top each serving with sour cream and chopped fresh cilantro.
- Serves: 6
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 1 lb (0.5 kg) boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cubed
- 1 onion(s), large, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chili powder
- 4 tsp (20 mL) cumin, ground
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cinnamon, ground
- 2 tsp (10 mL) cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 19 oz (540 g) canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 28 oz (795 g) canned diced tomatoes
- zest of one orange
- juice of one orange
- hot pepper sauce, to taste
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- sour cream, for garnish
- cilantro, fresh, chopped, for garnish