Combine diced onion and celery with all but last 3 ingredients in slow cooker. Mix well.
Top with skinless chicken breast, bone side up.
Cover and cook on low heat 6-8 hours (less if high setting and/or boneless breasts are used).
Stir in frozen peas and cranberries and cook on low another 15-30 minutes.
To serve, sprinkle with fresh, chopped parsley. Let guests serve themselves from the slow cooker.
- Serves: 6
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 4 bone-in, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 onion(s), medium, chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) celery
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) black pepper, coarsely ground
- 1 tsp (5 mL) thyme, dried
- 1 cup (250 mL) short grain brown rice
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) wild rice
- 1/2 lb (0.3 kg) cremini mushrooms
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) low-sodium tamari
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 cup (375 mL) water
- 1 1/2 cup (375 mL) white wine
- 1 cup (250 mL) frozen peas
- 1 cup (250 mL) cranberries, fresh or frozen
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) parsley, fresh, minced
Use any fresh or dried herb such as sage, basil, rosemary or mixed Italian seasoning.