Soak dried mushrooms in red wine to rehydrate. Coat chicken with flour.
In a large frying pan, heat 2 tablespoons (30 mL) oil and brown chicken on each side for 2 to 3 minutes. Set aside.
In the same pan, add the rest of the oil and sauté onion and peppers for 3 to 4 minutes.
Place wine-soaked mushrooms, chicken, onions, peppers, garlic, tomatoes, parsley, rosemary and thyme in a large pot and bring to a boil.
Cover and simmer on low heat for 20 minutes, until juices run clear or the internal temperature reaches 77ºC (170ºF).
Before serving, add olives and capers and adjust seasoning. Serve on hot polenta.
- Serves: 4
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 0.5 oz (0 g) dried mushrooms (porcinis or chanterelles)
- 1 cup (250 mL) red wine
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) all-purpose flour
- 8 boneless chicken thighs, cut in half
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) olive oil
- 1 onion(s), minced
- 2 red pepper(s), (or other colours)
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 10-13 Italian-style tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 can canned diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) parsley, fresh, chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) rosemary, fresh, chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) thyme, fresh, chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) mixed olives
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) capers, rinsed
- salt, to taste
- pepper, freshly ground, to taste