- Put the chicken in a large sealable plastic bag and add the marinade. Close the bag and turn it several times to make sure all of the chicken is coated with marinade.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- On a 2 burner barbecue, light one burner and set it to medium heat.
- Open the can of beer and pour out about ¼ cup (60 mL). Make three more holes in the top of the can.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and throw out the bag. Slide the chicken, with the legs pointing down, onto the can. The ends of the drumsticks should touch the bottom of the can and the chicken should stay upright on the can.
- Put the chicken and can over the unlit burner and use the legs to help keep the chicken upright.
- Close the barbecue lid. Grill for about 45 minutes then turn the chicken 180 degrees to ensure even heating.
- Close the lid and continue cooking for another 45 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted in the breast reads 185°F (85°C).
- Remove the chicken and can from the barbecue and put them on a plate so that the can remains upright. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- The can and liquid will be very hot so take care not to burn yourself.
- Gently lift the chicken off the can and put the chicken on a cutting board. Throw out the can and liquid. Cut the chicken into portions and serve.
Beer can must be washed.
If you prefer, use chicken stock or lemonade instead of beer. Pour 1 ¼ cup (300 mL) into an empty soft drink or beer can.