- In a Dutch oven, or large shallow saucepan, crush tomatoes with potato masher.
- Stir in onion, pepper, garlic, vinegar, brown sugar, chili powder, mustard, hot pepper sauce, ground ginger, cinnamon and cloves.
- Bring to boil; reduce heat to medium-high and simmer briskly for 30 to 35 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently right to bottom of pan to prevent sticking or scorching.
- Transfer to food processor or blender and process until smooth. You may wish to place a towel over the food processor or blender to prevent splattering. Return to pan; stir in oil and heat to boiling point.
- Use immediately or for longer storage, transfer to large sterilized jar with tight-fitting lid.
Basting sauces are used to retain moisture and add flavour. However, to prevent scorching, tomato-based or sauces containing sugar should be used only during the last 10 to 15 minutes of cooking. Make up a batch to have on hand for weekend barbecues.