In a Dutch oven, or large shallow saucepan, crush tomatoes with potato masher.
Stir in onion, pepper, garlic, vinegar, brown sugar, chili powder, mustard, hot pepper sauce, ground ginger, cinnamon and cloves.
Bring to boil; reduce heat to medium-high and simmer briskly for 30 to 35 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently right to bottom of pan to prevent sticking or scorching.
Transfer to food processor or blender and process until smooth. You may wish to place a towel over the food processor or blender to prevent splattering. Return to pan; stir in oil and heat to boiling point.
Use immediately or for longer storage, transfer to large sterilized jar with tight-fitting lid.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 1 can (796 ml) tomatoes packed in juice
- 1 1/2 cup (375 mL) onions, chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) red peppers, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) brown sugar, packed
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chili powder
- 2 tsp (10 mL) mustard powder, hot
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) ginger, ground
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) cinnamon, ground
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) cloves, ground
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) hot pepper sauce
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) vegetable oil
Basting sauces are used to retain moisture and add flavour. However, to prevent scorching, tomato-based or sauces containing sugar should be used only during the last 10 to 15 minutes of cooking. Make up a batch to have on hand for weekend barbecues.