- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Slice sausages into ½ inch (1.5 cm) pieces. Heat 1 tsp (5 mL) olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add sliced sausages and brown on both sides. Remove from pan and set aside to cool. Reserve pan and the juices.
- Cut potatoes into ¾ inch (2 cm) chunks. Heat another teaspoon (5 mL) olive oil in the pan that cooked the sausage. Add potatoes, cover and cook until lightly browned - about 15 minutes in total. Flip half way to promote even browning. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add another teaspoon (5 mL) olive oil to the same pan and sauté diced onion until translucent. Stir in canned tomatoes with their juices, diced red sweet pepper, hot chili pepper flakes and the smoked paprika. Sauté over medium heat until most of the liquid evaporates - about 5 minutes.
- Stir the browned potatoes and sausages into the tomato mixture. Use a spoon to combine and spread out evenly. Make four wells in the vegetables. Break an egg into each well. Season with freshly ground black pepper and the dried Italian herb blend. Cover and cook 3-4 minutes or until eggs are cooked the way you like them.
- OVEN METHOD: Follow process above but mix browned sausage, potatoes and tomato mixture in a 9 x 13" (3 L) baking pan. Break the eggs into four wells and then bake for 25 minutes on middle rack of oven or until the eggs are cooked the way you like them.
You can also substitute diced chicken breast or thighs or even ground chicken if you cannot find the sausages.
This dish bakes beautifully in a larger, cast iron fry pan. Some of the iron from the cookware is transferred to the food so cast iron cookware is a good option for many people.
If you require a gluten free version of this recipe, make sure you use a gluten free sausage. Alternately, use ground or fresh chicken.