- Preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C). Cut the chicken breast cross-wise into smaller bite-size pieces.
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based pot over medium-high heat. Sauté the onions, garlic, and chicken, stirring occasionally until cooked through and nicely browned.
- Add the mushrooms, pasta sauce, and the cream to the pot.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, reduce to a gentle simmer and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, so that the sauce thickens slightly.
- Stir balsamic vinegar, pitted chopped olives, cayenne pepper, minced parsley, and rosemary into the sauce.
- Cook until heated through – about 5 minutes.
- Cook the whole wheat pasta in unsalted boiling water until al dente, following packaged directions. Cook the pasta less than you normally would, as it will be cooked further in the oven.
- Drain the pasta and add it to the sauce.
- Spray a 3 L (3.2 quart) oblong baking dish with non-fat cooking spray.
- Spread the pasta and sauce evenly in the dish.
- Top the pasta with the mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses and additional minced fresh parsley.
- Bake until the cheese is golden brown, about 15 minutes.
Use kitchen staples to create this delicious warm baked pasta. Choose a good quality prepared pasta sauce and boneless, skinless chicken strips. For a complete meal serve with a green salad and low-fat vinaigrette.