Cook whole grain Wehani rice in unsalted water according to package directions.
Snap tough ends from asparagus - the bottom inch (2.5 cm) or so. Then cut on an angle into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces leaving tips intact. Set aside.
Heat sesame oil in a wok, or large skillet, over medium-high heat. Add the asparagus and sauté for 2 minutes.
Cut boneless chicken into 1 inch squares (2.5 cm) and add to skillet. Cook chicken for 4 minutes allowing it to brown on one side. Flip and cook another 4 minutes to brown other side.
Prepare the sauce by combining the ginger, Hoisin sauce, tamari and hot sauce. Continue stirring chicken until it is thoroughly cooked.
Add the asparagus pieces to the wok and stir-fry for approximately 2 minutes. Pour sauce over and combine well. Stir-fry another few minutes until asparagus is just tender-crisp. Add the sliced green onions and toss again.
To serve, place stir-fry over cooked Wehani rice. Garnish with pistachios.
- Serves: 4
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- 1 lb (0.5 kg) boneless, skinless chicken breast(s)
- 1 cup (250 mL) wehani rice, dry
- 1 lb (0.5 kg) asparagus, fresh
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) sesame oil, toasted
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) ginger, fresh, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) light tamari sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) asian hot sauce
- 1 cup (250 mL) green onion(s), sliced
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) pistachio nuts, dry, roasted, shelled, unsalted