Asparagus & Chicken Salad with Sesame Ginger Dressing
- Cut chicken breasts into strips (6-8 pieces per breast). Place in shallow bowl. Add sesame oil, minced garlic, rice vinegar and tamari and turn pieces to coat. Marinate 1 hour in the refrigerator.
- Trim tough ends from asparagus. Heat 1 tsp (5 mL) oil in non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add asparagus and sauté approximately five minutes until tender crisp. Roll the spears in the pan to coat with oil and encourage even cooking on all sides. Set aside to cool. Slice on an angle into 1/2 inch (1.25 cm) pieces.
- Heat another teaspoon (5 mL) oil in pan asparagus was sautéed in. Add chicken strips and cook until lightly browned and cooked through (165°F (74°C)) - about 5 minutes per side. Pour over any remaining marinade during cooking. Boil and set aside to cool.
- Shred romaine lettuce and cabbage and add to large salad bowl. Top with the grated carrot and slivers of orange pepper.
- To serve, pile romaine salad high in centre of dinner plate. Garnish with sliced green onions and a few chive sprigs. Serve with sesame ginger dressing.