- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Grate potatoes with skin on. Place in a colander, press down and leave 15 minutes for liquid to drain out. Press down a number of times to help liquid drain. See note for an alternate method. The crust will crisp nicer if potatoes are well drained.
- Beat egg with ¼ tsp (1.25 mL) salt in medium bowl. Stir in onion and drained potatoes.
- Spray a 10 inch (25 cm) pie pan that is 2 inches deep (5 cm) with vegetable cooking spray. Use your fingers to press the potato mixture evenly across bottom and up the sides. Go as high as possible as the crust will shrink during baking. Bake for 30 minutes until starting to brown around top edges.
- Cut chicken thighs into small pieces about ½ inch (1.25 cm). Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a non-stick skillet. Add chicken, minced garlic and sauté 3 minutes. Add sliced green onions and sauté another minute. Pour over baked crust.
- Add eggs, milk, goat cheese, nutmeg, tarragon and ¼ tsp (1.25 mL) salt to blender. Process until smooth and pour over chicken in crust.
- Use your fingers to snap off woody ends of asparagus about 1 inch (2.5 cm) from bottom. Lay asparagus spears, like spokes of wheel on top, pressing lightly into egg mixture. Sprinkle over grated Swiss cheese and paprika. Bake 40-45 minutes or until knife inserted in centre comes out clean. Let cool on rack 5 minutes before serving.
Wring the shredded potatoes in a clean tea towel to remove excess water. The tea towel may turn dark as it dries, as would potatoes peeled and left out, but will wash up fine.